HVAC Industry support for contractors, consumers and utilities worldwide..



Contact info

HVAC Tune-up and Commissioning Program Overview

What is the Program about?

Your local utility (sponsor utilities) may be offering contractors like you an opportunity to utilize advanced portable diagnostic tools (APDT) to service and commission customer equipment through a contractor incentive program.


Why participate? What are utilities concerned about?

Multiple studies have confirmed that HVAC contractors are not paying attention to simple design principles, and routinely leave units running far less efficient than manufacturers designed intentions.

Some startling facts: 70% of systems installed have insufficient airflow. Airflow is a first order property of capacity, yet most systems move less than 325 CFM per ton of capacity. A recent survey over the winter of 2006-2007 produced results of 283 CFM per ton. As a rule of thumb, airflow for air conditioning needs to be close to 400 CFM per ton to provide the capacity that units/systems are rated for.

A primary reason why this occurs is because almost 90% of the contractors and technicians providing these services do not have NAY tool for measuring and evaluating airflow. And the few that do, do not use them regularly.

Regarding charge: 60% of the systems evaluated in studies showed that systems were incorrectly charged with an almost even split (30% each) of either being undercharged or overcharged. There is also an alarming number of systems that appear to be operating with high head - caused by non-condensable (contaminates) gasses in the refrigerant.

This is caused by a number of factors: technicians solely relying on refrigerant gauges to evaluate systems and using poor purge techniques to clear manifold and hoses, using un-calibrated gauges to evaluate refrigerant systems, using rules-of-thumb to evaluate charge levels and not OEM specifications, using pressure charts alone to predict charge, NOT waiting for systems to get into steady-state when adjusting charge, improper airflow (which affects suction temperatures and pressures).

Another duct related problem is “Duct Leakage”. The average duct leakage rates across the entire country are 30% total duct leakage with 20% duct leakage to the outdoors. This essentially means almost 1/3 of a systems capacity never reaches or comes from where it is supposed to! Combined with low airflow and one can reasonably argue that consumers are only getting 50% of the product and services they think they are bargaining for.

ALL of this adds up to unnecessary waste. In particular, your electric utility has to build power plants and transmission lines to meet the markets needs at peak times: which is solely caused by Air Conditioning use in the summer.

The entire global Marketplace needs you to step up to the plate.

How do I participate?

There are currently two major platforms to use in the New England market at this time. One involves using a Digital Manifold (ACRx Service Assistant) connected to a hand-held computer (Palm) to evaluate systems in the field, and the other utilizes a call-in service center (CheckMe) to record and analyze system performance data.

To get started, simply select the platform you’d like to use, and contact the service provider to get started with your training today.

[Home] [Software] [Consumers] [Contractors]